Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's all about the details

When a co-worker asked me to make her 30 paperweights for her organization I jumped on the idea!  I am so flattered when someone wants to order something, but another bonus was this was my first big order.  It was a little bit of trial and error, and in the end, I realized that I really love double sided adhesive sheets!  :)

Originally, the plan was to go with a bright blue and a green (since those were the groups logo colors).  However, I felt that the colors were too similar.  So it was another trip to the store to get some navy vinyl.  What a difference, right?


The details are so important.  It's what makes your project YOUR project. 

So I made the first 15 and thought I could glue them together.  The texture of the vinyl, plus the component of the glass, plus the fact that it has been about 125 degrees made this part of the project take nearly 3 days to complete due to the fact that the glue wouldn't dry.

We're talking DAYS later... note the glue that spilled over... this also required chipping it off by hand.

The second 15 were SO much easier.  They took me about an hour to do.  4 words people: Double Sided Adhesive Sheets.  They are amazing.  Here is the finished paperweight product.


 From paperweight to coaster, right before your very eyes!

It can also stand up for a more visual aspect since, well, there's probably not a lot of "wind" for a paperweight inside the office...  :)

My co-worker seemed stoked about them, which makes it all worth it!  

The possibilities with these are great though.  I got a monogram paperweight as a graduation gift and I still have it right next to my computer.  Bosses day, secretaries, co-workers... Who wouldn't love something this personalized?

No comments:

Post a Comment